March is National Nutrition Month®! This is a campaign every March from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics focused on promoting healthy eating behaviors. This year the theme is “Put Your Best Fork Forward”, a message emphasizing the importance of every food choice throughout the day, whether it is your meal choice or choosing to grab a handful of candy from break room.
Making small changes in our food choices can add up over time and are the gateway to success. Lifelong healthy eating is built on the back small, cumulative changes in behavior rather than fad diets. Here are some key messages from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics for this March. Notice the emphasis on making sure the foods and exercises you do are enjoyable, another key to success!
- Create an eating style that includes a variety of your favorite, healthful foods.
- Practice cooking more at home and experiment with healthier ingredients.
- How much we eat is as important as what we eat. Eat and drink the right amount for you.
- Find activities that you enjoy and be physically active most days of the week.
- Manage your weight or lower your health risks by consulting a registered dietitian nutritionist. RDNs can provide sound, easy-to-follow personalized nutrition advice to meet your lifestyle, preferences and health-related needs.
Resources to help meet your goals from the Kerry Health and Nutrition Institute
Moving from Weight Management to Weight Wellness
Tipping the Balance Toward Moderation
Snacking Under the Nutrition Lens
Resources from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Check out the AND’s toolkit for National Nutrition Month, including reading lists, event ideas, and promotional materials.